Emergency Broadband Benefit:
WHAT IS IT?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is a temporary FCC program to help households struggling to afford internet service during the pandemic.
WHAT IS THIS FUNDING FOR?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit provides:
- Up to $50/month discount for broadband service;
- Up to $75/month discount for households on qualifying Tribal lands; and
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider if the household contributes more than $10 but less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household. The discounts apply even if the household has a past-due balance or balances in collections.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Check out www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit for a Consumer FAQ and other program resources.
WHAT DOCUMENTS ARE NEEDED?
Applicants need to provide a Social Security number, Tribal ID number, Military ID or Driver’s License number, as well as documentation proving the household qualifies. Examples of qualifying documents include:
- SNAP award confirmation
- Pell Grant approval
- Tax return, Social Security statements, Veteran’s Administration benefit
- Divorce decree or child support award
- Layoff/furlough notice or unemployment application or approval
For more information about qualifying documentation, visit https://getemergencybroadband.org/how-to-apply/show-you-qualify/.
THREE WAYS TO APPLY
1 Contact your service provider directly to learn about their application process. Each company has their own application process.
2 Go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org to apply online and to find participating providers near you.
3 Call 833-511-0311 for a mail-in application, and return it along with proof of eligibility to:
Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O. Box 7081London, KY 40742