1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program
We invite you to participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program, which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before they start kindergarten.
Then come visit us in the library for more information, get to know your Children’s Services Manager, and receive your introduction packet which includes great information on the program and other resources to get you started.
Download your reading lists here.
Tips for reading with your child
- Have clear and detailed pictures
- Pick books that are not too long or wordy
- Pick books that have fun words
- Read every day
- Invite your toddler to pick the book
- Introduce new and unusual words
- Chant nursery rhymes with your child. Make up motions to go with the rhymes
- Act out the story
Make sure to take advantage of some of your library’s great resources.
Read on Libby! You have access to 2 great collections.
- When you hold children and give them this attention they know you love them.
- Reading to children encourages them to become readers.
- Listening to stories will help develop your child’s attention span.
- Books will help your children’s imagination soar.
- Illustrations in children’s books rank with the best, giving children a lifelong appreciation of beautiful art.
- Books are one great way of passing on your values.
- Children’s books today are so well written that they are fun even for adults.
- Until children learn to read themselves they will think you create magic.
- When you give them this gift, you will create memories that last a lifetime.
- Every teacher and librarian you ever meet will thank you!